In no particular order here are my first impressions:
- New name: “The new iPad”. Somewhat confusing. Should we rebrand the iPad 2 as “The Old iPad”?
- iPhoto for iPad: Just another Photogene. Yeah, sure, it is well presented, but no synching with desktop iPhoto or Aperture.
- Retina display: Pretty cool. Lots of potential for future photo apps.
- Same format: Fair enough. Old smart covers will still work with it.
- iSight camera: Got to try it first. I am still not convinced that the iPad has the ideal form factor to take pictures. I prefer the iPhone’s.
- A5X CPU: Powerful. Coupled with the new retina display, it provides great potential for future apps, hopefully a few good photography ones.
- LTE: I bought a 3G iPad 1 (er, sorry “The old old iPad”) with 3G. Although it was very useful in Italy, I am not sure that I would spend $150 extra for the 4G unit.
Will I get one? Wow, I really do not know…